Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Just Livin' the Dream


star wars or power rangers...we couldn't decide


The HUGE crowd at Zapatero


me, Catherine, and Erin at the soccer match


planetarium and science museum


my roomie alix, me, and steven playing around

This weekend i was lucky enough to have an extremely "culture" filled weekend. On Friday a group of us wandered down the Rio to find the area of arts and sciences. the architecture of these structures is CRAZY. it is all iridescent white mosaic tiles that cover all of the building! We walked about 6 miles back and forth that day. It was the first day of nice weather in a while so it was well needed!

On Saturday morning a group of us woke up and went over to the bull fighting arena to see the president of Spain speak in a political rally. Spain is having their presidential elections on March 9th, and there is a decently heated race going on. So anyways there were probably about 10-15,000 people crammed in this arena. Everyone was in an incredibly jovial mood and were pumped to be celebrating with neighbors and support their candidate. There was a live band, this stomp number, and a few speakers before Zapatero. All three of the speakers were amazing! No notes, just very strong speaking skills, very captivating. It was really cool that I understood basically everything that was going on as well. Everything that I didn't understand I asked this nice older man next to me, and he was really helpful and explained the political process in Spain and who the different important people were on the stage.

The entry was simple, just flow in...no tickets, no bag checks....nothing. People were picnicking, chatting, and dancing. It was great, probably the best show of politics and the possibilities of a government I have every seen...Probably naive of me...but I am ok with that. haha. O INTA kids... got to love it.

If that wasnt enough for one day, that night i went to a Valencia FC game. Apparently they dont sell beer with alcohol at the stadium. That was a big difference from american spectating. The game was a whole lot of fun. I bought a jersey after school one day and wore it. My building for classes is one block away from the stadium so I get to see if everyday. It was awesome to be in the stadium. They tied 1-1. The stadium wasnt packed. I am really tempted to drop the money for the Barce game during Fallas...time will tell. It was a blast though!

So i had my first round of testing this week. It went decently. I didnt study as much as I would have at home for tests back in real school, but I felt decently prepared. We will see how that pans out.

The weather has been amazing! The past three days I have spent my siestas on the roof in my swim suit tanning =) be jealous!

No comments: